Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Moving to Russia...

On or around August 20th, I'll be moving to Moscow, Russia for about two years. My purpose? To learn enough Russian to pass a fluency test so that I can go to graduate school. I'm not entirely certain as to what my concentration will be in, but I'm leaning toward Russian Literature--hence the necessity to learn Russian Language.

I'll be working with a company called Language Link (http://jobs.languagelink.ru/) as a Work-Study student. This means that I'll be spending half of my time teaching English, and the other half learning Russian. I'll live in a flat with one other person (whom I do not know), and get paid a stipend each month to cover living costs. There are many reasons why I chose to do a work-study program rather than just an interning or teaching program. I'm going to Russia with a goal, and I intend to see that goal through (God-willing). If I had chosen to intern or merely take a teaching position, the chances of my Russian improving would be slim. I decided to dive right into cold water because I'm ridiculous :)

Anyhow, I'm pretty excited :) Two years is a long time, but I feel confident that it will be entirely worth it--hard, but worth it. Russia is unlike any other place I've ever been, and I'm so excited to go back. I know there is all sorts of adventure awaiting me, and so much humor to be found. It's always difficult to say goodbye to those I love, but I know God will protect them at home. It'll be hard to attend church services in a language I don't understand, but as I was told last time I lived in Russia--When a church service is in another language, it's a better idea to listen with your heart rather than try to comprehend with the mind.--Kind of cheesy, but true.

Anyhow, in the future, feel free to read this blog. It will be a general posting for everyone, so any truly personal information will not be attended to here. You should email me for that instead.

I'm excited!

YAY!

7 comments:

MariaJuroe said...

Congrats! You have a lot of guts, girlie! Hope amazing though to truly live in another culture. You must keep us all posted, I know everyone at St B's will miss you! Love, Maria

Maria Christina Juroe said...

Oh, and here's my blog....

Amy said...

i love that your blog is pink. also, i will miss you though...like i miss you now. :(

Jon Marc said...

* sigh * Can you share some of your boldness/decisiveness with me please? I'm seriously lacking...

Anastasia said...

You are so hot.

Anonymous said...

Things I will miss about Shannon:

1. Her GIANT tata's (sorry had to get that out first and foremost)

2. Not being able to fire her regularly.

3. Not being able to IM her and tell her of my bathroom stinkies.

4. Torture her with meat and dairy while she is fasting.

5. Ridicule her for her lust of an old dead statue (sick twisted freak)

6. Most of all I will miss her courage that she exudes in such a short stature (I think its in the tatas) She is by far the most couragous 22 year old I know.

Shannon, be well, be safe and dont drink imported Vodka when you have the very best at your finger tips.

May love and Spirtiual guidance protect you on your journey.

Laurie

(Ex Boss)

Shwalizabeth said...

Seriously, Laurie? SERIOUSLY???