Friday, August 22, 2008

I'm here.

I've finally arrived. Months of waiting, and I'm here. It's still hard to believe.

I got off the plane, struggled for about 20 minutes through passport control, then for about another 20 through baggage claim. Finally, I meet Alexei. He is standing there with a sign that says "Language Link", and he smiles sheepishly at me. He asks me if I speak Russian, and I stupidly respond with, "No. I'm an American". He manhandles my baggage all the way to the car, and doesn't let me touch it. When we get to the car, I go to roll down my window because it's hot, but alas, the handle is missing. He rolls down his own window, and then hands me the handle as though the situation was totally normal. Only in Russia. Our drive was about 40 minutes in traffic, and it wasn't until "Dancing Queen" came on the radio that I realized he had put it on an English station for me. "Dancing Queen"...seriously??? We talked about traffic and how old we were, and then he had me listen to some random stuff on his phone to make me laugh. That's as far as my Russian could take me in that situation, and the silence was awkward. OH! And he took me to an ostrich farm. That's right. Ostriches.

My flat.

So I get to my flat, and no one is home. Alexei drops me off and I start to unpack. My roommates are missing, but I've since learned that one is French and the other is Italian. This is going to be hilariously fun. My room is about 7 ft. by 20 ft., and has ivory wallpaper with fake, raised bricks and ivy on it.

Thus far, I have been totally humored. I wish I could write more, but my time on the internet is running out, and I'm starting to get "the eye" from the directors (who've got tempers like lions..eek!). Love you all! I must go!

15 comments:

Anastasia said...

The part about the handle made me laugh so hard. Oh Russians. You're going to make me so nostalgic with your blog. I'm going to want to go back immediately.

I miss you. I am glad you are there safely and are having a ridiculous time already my angel baby. Give Alexei a nice tap on the fanny for me.

erin* said...

I hope Nastya means fanny in the way Americans do, not they way the Brits do...

Shwanie, it sounds like things are off to a relatively good start. I liked the part about your wallpaper. That's pretty classic.

Anastasia said...

Oh man, Erin did I ever tell you that story about the time I told my Australian roommate to give her boyfriend a little tap on the fanny for me? Best. Story. Ever.

SC said...

Ah! I totally just pictured all this in my head. Awkward silence and all.
I am really excited for all your future awkward/funny moments.
Can't wait to hear more.
Glad you arrived safely :)
Love you.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the little internet adventure... I went ahead and looked up what 'fanny' meant to Brits...

Glad to hear you made it over there ok!

-Jason

erin* said...

Folsom is totally stalking my blog now...

And Nastya, you've never told me that story, but I can imagine the hilarity which ensued.

Also, the word verification for my comment is "jkfoo", which I think is rather apropos.

Shwalizabeth said...

Corie and Erin, could you refrain from sinful conversations about fannies and pants on my blog? Kthanks. ;)

Anastasia said...

I'm not wearing any pants right now.

erin* said...

I am, but I wish I wasn't.

Jon Marc said...

Yay ostriches! Such a fundamental part of the steppes...

Elias said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Erin,

you need not worry about your blog being stalked, it is far too boring for me to read. It doesn't have top ten lists, car chases, explosions, crude humor, bathroom jokes (it really is different), videos of people falling off bikes/skateboards, interesting political humor, food reviews, or anything else that would capture my attention.

juliana qualls said...

I MISS YOU!!!

juliana qualls said...

I MISS YOU!!!

Anastasia said...

NEW BLOG. You have a laptop, what is your freaking excuse. And don't even be like "Russians are angry" because they are always angry and YOU WILL NEVER WIN WITH THAT EXCUSE.

CORIE WANT NEW BLOG.