Friday, January 2, 2009

Home again, Home again, Jiggity-Jig

So I flew out on Tuesday, December 30th and arrived in Moscow on the next day at noon. When I got to my departure gate in Chicago, I sat down to enjoy the delicious (and expensive) airport Chinese food when I noticed a priest with a large beard and cassock wearing a gold pectoral cross a bit hidden in the material. I then remembered that an acquaintance of mine from my Russian church was in CA for a conference, and would probably be on my flight. He indeed was, so I had about 20 minutes company before we took our respective seats. After the flight, he helped me get onto the train to go into the center of the city, and then bargained a taxi for me to get home. We had a nice chat on the 45 minute train ride back. Seriously, though, before I even left the States, I was on Russian overload. A week and a half away definitely threw me through a loop.

When I did get to my new flat, I found it dark and extremely quiet. I took a small nap, and then decided to go to the services at church that night since it was New Years Eve and all. The services were lovely, and what I could make of the priest's sermon was nice too. My British friend James is back in England now, and so I'm definitely fending for myself at St. Antipa from here on out. Glory be to God for all things. He's helped me get through everything else, he'll help me get through this too. My Russian really needs to get better though. It's difficult to be sociable when you realize that people are going to great lengths to be kind to you while you inconvenience them with your bad grammar and limited vocabulary. I think I might definitely be an instrument of patience for some people. Even if they do speak English, they eventually get tired of having to think so hard to converse with me, and with Russian, they have to grade their language so that I can understand. I'm just like this big, unnatural stump in the middle of the room that everyone has to walk around. In time, it will all get better.

I've also been watching Russian tv since they've had all the New Years celebrations. That stuff is seriously hilarious. I think it's also been helping my Russian, which is why I keep watching it. But also, it's just a big ol' riot.

Anyway, it's good to be back in these boots again.

7 comments:

Jon Marc said...

The priest was from Chicago? Who was he?

At least the people have such patience!

Shwalizabeth said...

No, he was from Russia, with my friend who is also from Russia.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon,

I never had a chance to catch up with you when you were home, but I'm catching up a bit on your blog. Would you be up for an interview for Ancient Faith Radio? I think some of your observations on Russian culture and your related stories could be a lot of fun for listeners. I'd have to find out if vonage goes to Russia, and/or upgrade my plan to allow me to call you. But yor post on Russian Orthodoxy and modern Russian society and culture is very interesting. What do you think?

Chris Moss said...

TV is the best way to absorb new language skills! I have always used Spanish tv to brush up on my language skills. The soap operas are the best because the language is supposed to be culturally hip and now, so then you learn the latest language trends. Seriously, I may be cooler in espanol than I am in English! It's one of the tricks I got from my Spanish speaking friends and their dad who always helped me linguistically. BTW, glad you are home safe. It was great to share your holiday with you!

Anastasia said...

Oh, Russian television is AMAZING. Have you seen the Russian version of Married With Children yet? It's the best thing EVER. Also Papini Dochy is amazing as well. One of the daughters is totally Paige. Also, there is a Russian version of Law and Order, where they literally take old episodes of Law and Order and refilm them, except with Russians and it looks like it was made with someone's video camera and filmed in their friend's house over the weekend. So. Good.

Glad you're back safely.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Shannon. You know...your Russian will improve by leaps and bounds, as they say, when you marry a Russian...

Anonymous said...

Aw Shan! We love you so much, and miss you already. It was so lovely to see you, dear sister, for some good ol' quality family time. :-) Mucho love-o!