Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Playtime is Over

For the last two weeks, I'd just been meandering around Moscow seeing the sights and doing what tourists are supposed to do. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), playtime in Moscow is over, and I have been given work.

My group Russian lessons have been replaced by individual lessons which began on Monday. My tutor is so helpful and kind. I think she'll help my Russian improve a ton. I'll be meeting with her twice a week for two hours (four hours total).

I also started working yesterday (Tuesday). I'll be teaching on Tuesdays and Thursdays for a school here (as opposed to a building in which Language Link just HAPPENS to have a location). Each time, I have three classes of children ranging from 6-7 year olds, one class of 9 year olds, and one class of 10 year olds. I then have 2 hours for a break that I spend travelling to my next location for a class of beginning adult learners. With lesson planning, preparation, travel time and the classes themselves, I am running to and fro for no less than 12 hours on those days. My young students are absolutely adorable and so well-behaved! It's so nice to have the innocent faces of children looking to you for help rather than the typical Russian skeptic that one usually encounters. But even my adult learners had fun in their class--and after all, that's what makes learning worthwhile, right? I hope to be a teacher who makes learning enjoyable.

I really think I'm going to enjoy this :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you're doing well! We miss you tremendously in the office. Also, you need to blog more often. It's been too long since your last post. It's much more entertaining to read about your adventures than work!!!!
Hugs, Jessica
PS. In order to post I have to type one of those silly letter patterns. I heard a story on NPR about how people are helping transcribe millions of pages of published works through these funny verification requests. Thought you would appreciate that.

Ashley.L.W. said...

Soon I will be able to relate to your teaching experiences...and we will again be the same person. :)

Jon Marc said...

Too fun :-).

Anastasia said...

Awww!! Маленькие Русские дети!!!

b said...

Yay!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon! We miss you so much here, at OCUW! I'm very happy to hear that you are having fun in Moscow and enjoying your adventures. You are a terrific writer and a great teacher, I'm sure your russian students adore you. Look forward to reading your next post!

Take care,
Anastasia

Anonymous said...

Reading your posts make me miss you even more! I am so glad you are having a great time. But the office is not the same without you....Speaking of "The Office" did you watch the premiere? Classic Michael Scott and other good stuff. I won't spoil it in case you haven't watched it.
Hugs!!! Amy

SC said...

where the heck have you disappeared to?

Shwalizabeth said...

Sorry, guys, the internet in my flat is busted and I haven't been able to post for quite some time...I hope it gets fixed soon!!! When it does, I'll post more pictures and stories.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Shannon. By Providential chance I came across your blog today. I heard tell about a month ago of yet another American Orthodox now in Moscow...you bring our number up to six that I know of. We probably eventually would have crossed paths as, from what I've heard, you know Mother Nektaria. I came here just over a year ago also through Language Link (don't tell them I'm still here, I'd like to keep up the facade that I left the country last December...). It's pretty boring but you can read about my life at LL on my blog (the entries from August-December 07). We'll (my wife and I) have to have you over sometime, send me an email.

Chris Moss said...

Dear Heart, you must post more often. I miss you!
Loveyou! Mom

Thomas said...

Hello Shannon! I'm Thomas, a friend of Mother Nectaria's. Welcome to Moscow! I have been living here a while my wife and I run a little hospitality gig on holidays (like your name's day, Thanksgiving, etc.) and you are very welcome if you are interested. You can contact me through some of the people you have met through Mother Nectaria - James, Paul, Gerry and Yura. We're all pals and it would be very cool to hang out with you and maybe even go on a pilgrimage or two.

Nice little blog here. Cute.

Take Care

Thomas