Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Funny Stories...

My priest here is a LEGEND.

During one of my first visits to St. Antipa's, I came to confession with Father Vladimir. I handed him my list, which I had thoughtlessly written in English, he looked at it confusedly, realized what I was (an American) and absolved me. This led him to believe that I spoke absolutely no Russian whatsoever. That same day, when I began to approach him to venerate the cross at the end of service, I heard him whispering to the acolyte, "Here comes the American woman. Here she comes. Do you see her? Here she comes. Oh, here she is. Here's the American woman. She's right here. There she goes. There goes the American. Did you see her? She just passed by."

A few weeks following that great moment, I came up to take communion. Father Vladimir knows my name. I'm the only American in our parish. So what does he decide to communion me as? "American woman". Be sure to say that with a heavy Russian accent. I almost died laughing. On that same day during coffee hour, my friends and I are seated and talking, and down comes Father Vladimir playing the blues on the harmonica. WHAT??? He was actually really good at it! I was totally surprised, however, when he walks up to me and is like, "You're an American woman, you know the blues! Sing with me!!" I, regretfully, said no. He proceeds to calm himself for about five minutes before he gets up again and starts walking behind people, blowing the harmonica in their ears to scare them.

THAT is my new priest. Legend.

7 comments:

Chris Moss said...

You are soooo American! Seriously, adapt to Russian culture all you like, just keep shaving your armpits, my daughter! I taught you American hygiene habits. LOL!

K Hiskey said...

Your stories are so funny! You are in my prayers...~Karren

Anonymous said...

I think I love him already.

Anastasia said...

I can't tell you or anyone else how happy this makes me, and how much this makes me miss Russia.

Shwalizabeth said...

Thanks, Karren! You're super!

Anonymous...?

Cor-Cor, lovies.

Anastasia said...

Lovies.

Jon Marc said...

OMG! He sounds awesome :-)! A little different from our Fr. Vladimir at Holy Resurrection :-).